Every Friday I come to church to get some work done for the weekend. It's nice because I usually set aside the weekends to focus on ministry work. Usually the going about of FNF (Friday Night Fellowship), Saturday events, and of course our Holy Sabbath - which should be an otherwise restful day, but for me...it is not. By the time Sundays come around, I'm drained from the mental work of doing my sermon, the emotional strain of keeping up with students that range from age 12-18, and of course as I ageeeeeee, the physical demands - which actually I wish were more demanding. The kids are so good at sports that I can barely keep up. ugh. age.
These are some of my students:
These pictures are from our summer HOPE CAMP which is held annually. The idea is that it is a retreat, but more with the camp feel. It's a really great time for fellowship outside the church things. And it's an awesome avenue for kids who really aren't into church to get involved. I really have to give props to the 26 staff that we had for this year. They really put everything together as Pastor Clay and I ran around this summer doing missions and the what nots. People ask me how my summer was, and honestly I don't remember! It was such a big blur...and a blessed blur if I might add. This ministry has been such a blessing for me and I am so thankful for all the pains that it comes with. I've been reading this book On-Purpose Leadership, Dale Galloway: and I learned something profound from it - something that was always in my face but took me so long to learn. "History records the story of Thomas Edison's efforts to develop the light bulb. His first 6,000 experiments were unsuccessful. One day when someone asked him if he was discouraged, he said 'No, I am now well-informed on 6,000 ways you cannot do it" (71). And on the same note, the author asks, "Wouldn't you rather attempt something great for God and fail, than do nothing and succeed? (102)?
Yes...I would like to do something great for God and fail. Lead the way.
grace! i'm excited to be your loyal follower as you blog away your ministry experiences! i know how blessed students and teachers were blessed from the retreat and it's really great to see how all the challenges that come in working for God's Kingdom are blessings in disguise. Thanks for the quote! It's rewarding to know how our efforts are never failures but achievements towards personal growth and development.
ReplyDelete