Tuesday, January 25, 2011

sights, smells, sounds, VISION

Talk about giving your senses a wake up call. everything here is so new, everything waiting to be absorbed into my teeny brain. I take in what I can and leave the rest for later. This past week has been a lot more of learning, adapting, but by no means, anywhere near "getting used to." And I hope I don't ever get "used to" things around here - things like, greeting my neighbors on the streets with a "wai" (traditional Thai bowing) and "sawasdeekaa", things like going to the same coffee stand to get my coffee for 15B ($0.50), buying fresh fruit from the same fruit guy (I'm currently writing this blog while eating a fruit called Pomello - my favorite yet), seeing well-fed, docile stray dogs EVERYWHERE (I've started to name all the dogs on my street...Milo, Pepsi, Muzzle, Mam), jumping on the song tao, seeing babies and families riding a motorcycle to get around town, beautiful flowers in the market, on the trees, in cars...and most of all, I don't want to get used to what God is doing here. I can't say for certain that I know what it is...actually, I don't know what it is at all - hahahaha, but I do know that as the body of Christ, New City Fellowship Church is having a great impact on the community here by offering some great programs, opportunities and casting a vision to do the same in other communities. I've really taken a liking to the missionaries here - so humble, so compassionate, such visionaries. SO for now...I don't know where my nook is yet, but I don't mind shadowing their vision.

some SMELLS:

Lotus blossoms

these flowers are often used to give gifts to one another, but also used to use as alms to Buddha. The white flowers are jasmine flowers...smells so yummy.


some SIGHTS:
A side street food market in Siam Square

whew...good thing. don't worry about me guys! the Bangkok police are here to protect me!
:)

This is very very very common - sometimes you'll see a family of three hoppin on a bike!

Ironic that my blog name is "Eating Pad Thai" and I have yet to eat pad thai - it's a very Westernized dish and is hard to find outside the touristy areas

some of EVERYTHING:

Carolyn and I are excited for our tuk tuk ride.... wuhahahaha!

On a tuk tuk on our way to Khao Son Rd - one of the more trendy, hippy, shopping streets



On our way back from a nice day at Khao Son Rd. A nice end to the day :)

And....VISION


a glimpse of Sunday worship at the New City Fellowship Church
in Ramkamhaeng 2 (where I live and work)



No comments:

Post a Comment