Friday, February 4, 2011

the shoes are starting to fit...

3 weeks - well, almost...
sometimes I wake up and think that I've been here for much longer than that, like 3 months...then I step outside and am quickly reminded that all I can say for now is "Sawasdee ka." Anything beyond that becomes a game of charades and the universal language of smiling and nodding to who knows what...
Nonetheless, everyday is a great game of charades, an endless supply of smiles and enough nods to deserve a Thai massage... (soon grace...soon).

I'm starting to get the hang of putting words together to make a coherent sentence, and there is no cheaper thrill than saying something in a completely new language and actually understanding it - but more so, natives actually understanding it.  I'm sure that some Thai are just nodding, much like I do when I speak Thai to them, but hey...it's at least so very encouraging. <3

Here's my newest trick:
"chan maa chaak pratheet America, chan pen khon gao lee."
I am from America, but I am Korean.

I tell ya, I've struggled with this whole dual identity thing before when I was younger, but not like this!
I know that when Thai ask me where I'm from, they are expecting me to say "China" or "Japan" haha, but you can see the disappointment on their face when I say "America"
and so goes the dialogue...almost every time, with almost every Thai I've met here:

Thai: Where you come from?
me: with a inner battle in my head going on, I blurt out "America"

Thai: (slight disappointment) Where are you parents from?
me: From Korea

Thai: (with much excitement) ohhhhhh!!!! do you speak Korean?
me: Yes I do!

Thai: ohhhhhhh!!!!! do you know (with variation), "Dae Jang Geum", "Wonbin", "2PM", "I love Korean dramas!"
me: oh! haha...yes they are fun...(secretly hoping that they don't ask me much more than that, seeing as I've only seen ONE in the last 8 years....)

Anyway...it is a great blessing to be Korean-American, and I've really praised God for that...it's been helping a lot to build relationships and start conversation. :) Dae Han Min Gook! and God Bless America! :)

Ministry has also been going really well - I'm starting to get the hang of daily life and really enjoying the "relaxed-ness"(i know...i just made that word up) of Thai culture. This week has been a lot of visiting the Napada handicraft ministry.  They're going to be selling bags up in Chiang Mai this coming weekend (please keep them in your prayers), and that's been keeping them really busy, on top of 2 huge orders that came in.  So Carolyn and I have been spending a lot of time there helping out...cutting loads of fabric.  I managed to scrape some pieces with me today....do what with it? no idea...maybe sew them togehter and make a patch. Hahaha IDK.

different pieces to make an original Napada bag!

Campus ministry is going well - tonight we invited a few of the college students to our place and me, being the Korean and amazing chef, I cooked Shin Ramyun...hahahaa...I can't believe I cooked Ramyun for them!!! anyway it was fun and it was nice for me to eat some Korean home-cooking. I didn't think I missed it...but I dooooooooo....someone send me some samgyupsal! :)
anyway, the kids are great! fun, willing, and receptive - so please pray for them too! I hope I can focus a lot more on campus ministry. I tried to teach them the "babo" game, but it died pretty fast...and then I realized that all the games I knew had to do with numbers. And Katie so wisely said: "well no wonder you Koreans are so good at math." - I personally stink at math, but wow...we really have a lot of number games. We ended up playing the Thai version of 3-6-9 - the Thai version is the same, except you clap on the 3's and 5's. hahhaa...and these are my wonderful friends who lost and being punished. >:)

This is called the "Roti" dance - a punishment dance 

 Amazing Shin Ramyun and Neugori 
brought to you by Grace.
yum.




No comments:

Post a Comment